Mykonos boasts quite possibly one of the most famous vistas in the world. The whitewashed buildings of Mykonos have become an icon of luxury travel, and it seems that every influencer, travel blogger and luxury lifestyle lover has spent a season or two brushing shoulders with the great and the good in Mykonos.
Although the flavor of the month for high-end, luxury travelers, Mykonos remains, like much of Greece, an accessible destination for budget travelers too. Although Instagram may suggest it is a destination exclusively for the rich and famous, there are ways to explore Greece’s paradise isle for a pittance.
That said, for a once in a lifetime luxury trip, Mykonos is the perfect place to stay. With crystal-clear waters, beautiful, white-washed buildings and a phenomenal array of fine-dining restaurants, there is much to be indulged in here. There are countless 5-star resorts, where guests seldom have to lift a finger. Naturally, for the high summer season, these hotels are booked up long in advance, so if you want to stay 5-star in Mykonos, you better book quickly.
When it comes to where to stay in Mykonos, there’s a fantastic amount of choice. Let’s explore where to stay in Mykonos.
Old Port of Mykonos
The Old Port of Mykonos is the most popular place to stay in Mykonos. Also referred to as Downtown Mykonos, the Old Port is one of the most picturesque urban landscapes on the island. With its white-washed walls and occasional blue rooftop, the Old Port of Mykonos is the vision that springs to mind when you think of Greece’s Paradise Isle.
In the Old Port of Mykonos, travelers will find the largest collection of hotels and vacation apartment rentals. This part of town is always busy and bustling. Tourists saunter slowly through the streets while waiting staff scurry from table to table serving all manner of sumptuous Greek delights.
Up until the mid-2000’s, the Old Port of Mykonos was the island’s only major port and used to see huge cruise liners come in to dock on a daily basis. Now somewhat quieter in terms of thoroughfare, the Old Port of Mykonos is the perfect place to stay for first-time visitors to the island.
Good For: Active Travelers, Art Lovers, Budding Historians, City Slickers, Couples, Culture Vultures, First Time Visitors, Families, Foodies, Sightseers, Shopaholics, Whistle-Stop Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Archaeological Museum of Mykonos, Old Port of Mykonos City Building, A Touch of Art Manuel, Mantos Mavrogenous Statue, Boni’s Windmill, Spiral Art Gallery, Remezzo Mykonos Restaurant, Folklore Museum, Paraportiani Orthodox Church, Marathi
- White Memories – White Memories is a beautiful and truly luxurious apartment in the heart of the Old Port of Mykonos. There is one bedroom within the White Memories rental home, in addition to a fully-equipped kitchen and bathroom. The balcony at White Memories features outdoor seating and an ocean view.
- Mykonos Town Pad – Mykonos Town Pad is an exceptional place to stay in Mykonos. Guests have their own private terrace, complete with giant beanbags and a hot tub. From the balcony, guests can enjoy views of the Old Port of Mykonos. The apartment feature three bedrooms, two bathrooms and spacious living room.
- Villa Kampani – Villa Kampani is a fantastic, self-catering accommodation option in the Old Town of Mykonos. The Old Port of Mykonos Building is just 300-meters away, and guests can enjoy views of the Old Port from their own private terrace. Complimentary toiletries from Molton Brown are included and a daily breakfast too.
Little Venice is another incredibly popular spot for visitors to Mykonos. Sitting just below the Old Port of Mykonos, Little Venice embodies all the charm and romance travelers have come to expect from the island. There are many vacation rental apartments in the Little Venice area, in addition to gorgeous boutique hotels that are quite simply the epitome of minimalist class.
Many hotels, homes and restaurants overlook the ocean in Little Venice, and it is the cool coastal breeze that refreshes visitors as they take a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood’s winding streets. This neighborhood, much like the Old Port of Mykonos, is always buzzing and lively.
There are dozens of swanky cocktail bars in Little Venice, many of which offer customers the chance to relax and unwind with a coastal view. As the sun starts to set, the live music strikes up, and locals and visitors alike dance the night away. Galleraki Bar is a great starting point and offers exceptional sunset views.
Good For: Active Travelers, Beach Bums, City Slickers, Couples, Culture Vultures, First Time Visitors, Families, Foodies, Music Lovers, Sightseers, Shopaholics, Whistle-Stop Travelers, Party People
Neighborhood Highlights: Little Venice Viewpoint, Folklore Museum, Paraportiani Orthodox Church, Lena’s House Folk Museum, Rarity Gallery, Spiral Art Gallery, Boni’s Windmill, Old Port of Mykonos, Windmills of Kato Mili, Galleraki Bar, Caprice Bar Mykonos, Souvlaki Story Restaurant. Aegean Maritime Museum, Marathi
- Mykonos Theoxenia Luxury Boutique – Mykonos Theoxenia Luxury Boutique can be found right next to the famous windmills of Mykonos. The hotel features a vintage 1960’s inspired theme and there is a great selection of suites available. Upon arrival, guests are gifted with sparkling wine, a bag of healthy trail mix and luxury cosmetic treats.
- Myconian Inn – Myconian Inn is a superb hotel that sits just a two-minute walk from the beach. The rooms are bright white with splashes of blue, in keeping with the island’s color scheme. All rooms feature a TV with cable channels and a hairdryer. There is free parking and free WiFi available.
- Vencia Boutique Hotel – Vencia Boutique Hotel is a gorgeous hotel featuring elegant and stylish decor and outstanding levels of service. The hotel boasts an infinity swimming pool that overlooks the ocean. The swimming pool is the best spot for sunset views. All rooms have air-conditioning and free WiFi.
Megali Ammos Beach
Megali Ammos Beach is an ideal place to stay for travelers who want to soak up all the action in Mykonos Town but equally want a little more space for themselves. Megali Ammos Beach sits within a short walk of Little Venice and is more secluded from the main tourist hub.
A neighborhood that is less densely populated with hotels, Megali Ammos Beach offers travelers the chance to experience Mykonos like a local. The choppy waves hit Megali Ammos Beach day and night. There is a ruggedness to this bay that is rather charming.
The Windmills of Kato Mili are just a 15-minute walk from the center of Megali Ammos Beach. Some high-rise apartments in the neighborhood even boast views of these iconic buildings in the distance. Built in the 16th Century, the Windmills of Kato Mili are constructed from local wood and feature straw rooftops. In true Mykonos style, the windmills are whitewashed and blend into the coastal landscape.
Good For: Active Travelers, Beach Bums, Budget Travelers, Couples, Culture Vultures, Families, Foodies, Hikers, Off-The-Beaten Track Travelers, Sightseers,
Neighborhood Highlights: Megali Ammos Beach, Little Venice, Windmills of Kato Mili, Aegean Maritime Museum, Boni’s Windmill, Joanna’s Nikos Place Taverna Restaurant, Korfos Beach, Old Port of Mykonos, Marathi
- Cape Mykonos – Cape Mykonos is a bestselling hotel in Mykonos. Built-in Cycladic-style, Cape Mykonos is something of a little gem. The whole house features exquisite interior design with minimalist furnishings. Each room and suite features a luxurious ensuite bathroom and a balcony with incredible island or ocean, views. There is free parking.
- Mykonos Bay Resort & Villas – Mykonos Bay Resort & Villas is a phenomenal design hotel that can offer not only sea views, but views of famous windmills too. All guests receive a complimentary welcome drink and there is a traditional Mediterranean breakfast buffet laid on every morning. There is a free shuttle service to and from the port.
- Grand Beach – Grand Beach is an ideally located hotel in Megali Ammos Beach – the rooms are just a one-minute walk from the beach. Grand Beach Hotel features luxurious decor and amazing views of the ocean. The staff are wonderfully accommodating and are more than happy to help guests throughout their stay in Mykonos.
Platys Gialos is one of the most popular beaches in Mykonos. Set away from the Old Port of Mykonos and Little Venice, Platys Gialos attracts beach bums from around the world. Platys Gialos is a great place to stay in Mykonos for travelers who want to soak up the sun and take the occasional dip in the refreshing Aegean Sea.
Set to the south west of Mykonos, Platys Gialos get a great amount of sun and is never too breezy. Within a seven-minute drive of Mykonos International Airport, Platys Gialos is perfect for travelers who want to be on the beach within minutes of getting through immigration.
Platys Gialos is ideal for families. The soft, sandy beach offers gently lapping waves and plenty of space to run around. There is a number of sandy coves in the Platys Gialos neighborhood. There is Platys Gialos Beach itself, Agia Anna Beach and Paraga Beach too. Those heading to Mykonos to party the night away should carry on around the peninsula to Paradise Beach.
Good For: Active Travelers, Beach Bums, Budget Backpackers, Couples, Culture Vultures, Families, Foodies, Sightseers, Whistle-Stop Travelers, Party People
Neighborhood Highlights: Platys Gialos Beach, Agia Anna Beach, Paraga Beach, Paradise Beach, Psarou Beach, Saint Anna Church, Cavo Paradiso Night Club, Tropicana Club, Kuala Beach Bar-Restaurant
- Mykonos Palace Beach Hotel – Mykonos Palace Beach Hotel is set just a one-minute walk from the beach. The hotel features a fantastic range of facilities, including a snack bar, a water sports club and an outdoor swimming pool. There are family rooms available at Mykonos Palace Beach Hotel and breakfast is included.
- Mykonos Kosmoplaz Beach Resort – Mykonos Kosmoplaz Beach Resort is in an ideal spot, located just a one-minute walk from beautiful Platys Gialos Beach. Each room features the white and ocean blue theme that is synonymous with Mykonos. There is a swimming pool and a fitness center. A good breakfast is included in the room rate.
- Petasos Beach Resort & Spa – Situated on a private Platis Yialos and Psarou Beach, Petasos Beach Resort & Spa is a hidden gem in Mykonos. Offering both high levels of privacy and seclusion as well as easy access to Mykonos’ must-visit gems, Petasos Beach Resort & Spa is a great choice. Deluxe and superior rooms boast a steam cabin and spa bath.
The neighborhood of Ornos straddles the divide between the main body of Mykonos and the outcrop that is Ag. Loans Diakoftis. Ornos is a popular tourist neighborhood in Mykonos and has a great selection of hotels.
Ornos is a great neighborhood for active travelers and beach lovers. With beaches around every corner, there is no need to hire a car while staying in this neighborhood. Travelers can learn to kite-surf at KITE MYKONOS on Korfus Beach. The team are highly professional and can teach total beginners, they also hire out kit for more experienced windsurfers.
To walk from Korfos Beach in the north of the neighborhood to Ornos Beach in the south takes just five minutes. Travelers are really spoiled for choice when it comes to where to spend the day sunbathing. That said, in the busy summer high season, space on the beach does become hard to come by. It is suggested to arrive at the beaches early in order to guarantee a prime position.
Good For: Active Travelers, Beach Bums, City Slickers, Couples, Culture Vultures, First Time Visitors, Families, Foodies, Sightseers, Sporty Travelers, Whistle-Stop Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Ornos Beach, Korfus Beach, Megali Ammos Beach, Platis Gialos Beach, KITE MYKONOS, Aperanto Galazio Cuisine bar – Ornos Beach, Pasaji Restaurant, Buddha Bar Beach Mykonos Restaurant
- Yiannaki Hotel – Yiannaki Hotel is a great accommodation in Ornos. The hotel boasts a sea-water pool and a swim-up pool bar. The rooms feature neutral tones and everything guests could need for a comfortable stay. All rooms have their own private balcony and air conditioning. A great breakfast is included in the room rate.
- Kensho Boutique Hotel & Suites – Kensho Boutique Hotel & Suites is a luxurious hotel that sits just a one-minute walk from the beach. The hotel features traditional Cycladic decor and the whole property is elegant and stylish. Each room features a spa bath, some feature a private hot tub, others a whole swimming pool.
- Mykonos Blanc – Mykonos Blanc is a picture-perfect hotel situated just a matter of steps from Ornos Beach. All rooms offer air-conditioning as standard and boast either a sea view or a garden view. Mykonos Blanc is a top pick for travelers in Ornos for their high standard of service.
Elia Beach is the best place to stay in Mykonos for travelers who want a taste of luxury in an off-the-beaten-track destination on Greece’s paradise isle. Elia Beach sits on the southern coast of Mykonos, a 25-minute drive from the Old Port of Mykonos. A neighborhood with a more exclusive and high-class feel, Elia Beach is an ideal destination for the more esteemed traveler.
Travelers seldom have to worry about sharing the sand at Elia Beach. With many luxury boutique hotels and lavish apartments set back from the sea, many visitors never even set foot on the beach itself.
Just around the headland lies the equally gorgeous and lesser-visited Kalo Livadi Beach that provides a gateway to Kalafati Beach and beyond. Staying at Elia Beach is a great choice for active travelers who want to get out and about and explore what else Mykonos has to offer away from the popular Old Port area.
Good For: Active Travelers, Beach Bums, Couples, Culture Vultures, First Time Visitors, Families, Foodies, Hikers, Sightseers, Sporty Travelers, Like a Local Travelers, Luxury Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Elia Beach, Kalo Livadi Beach, Kalafati Beach, Marathi, Ftelia Beach, Espuma Restaurant, Ano Mera Town
- Greco Philia Hotel Boutique – Greco Philia Hotel Boutique is a gorgeous hotel that can be found within a two-minute walk of Elia Beach. Created in boutique style, each room at Greco Philia Hotel Boutique is a little different from the last. There are a number of breathtaking ocean viewpoints within the property.
- Myconian Avaton – Design Hotel – Myconian Avaton – Design Hotel offers guests the use of some pretty luxurious facilities. Namely, a thalassotherapy wellness center and two outdoor swimming pools. Many rooms at Myconian Avaton offer amazing ocean views and all feature authentic Cycladic design elements. There is a mini bar and an iPod docking station in each room.
- Cova Suites – Cova Suites is a luxurious accommodation option that overlooks Elia Beach. Guests have access to the stunning outdoor swimming pool, complete with sun deck and comfortable loungers. The staff at Cova Suites can help arrange a hire car for adventurous travelers to explore the wonders of Mykonos.