Dubbed as the “country-music capital of the world,” Nashville is the capital and the most populated city in the state of Tennessee. The ever-growing city also shines as a center for higher education and tourism and has emerged as one of the most vibrant cities of the United States of America. Lovingly called the ‘Music City’, Nashville is nestled on the banks of Cumberland River and has been considered as one of the fastest growing economies in the country.
Due to the city’s richness in music, culture, and history, Nashville has gained a reputation of being a fun and alluring tourist destination, attracting visitors from within the country as well as all over the world. Tagged as the “It City” by the reputed New York Times, Nashville is home to the world-renowned Grand Ole Opry, a country-music stage which has been in existence since 1925!
Let us now explore some of the most popular neighborhoods in the city to help you plan where to stay in Nashville during your visit.
Downtown, the heart of Nashville, is what truly defines the lively, vibrant character the Music City is known for. Truly the epicenter of all entertainment activities, the neighborhood offers a lot in terms of attractions and activities. For an unusual experience, catch a Broadway show at Tennessee Performing Arts Center or admire the many art galleries that line the streets around the 5th Avenue. And, for a blasting night out, head to none other than the infamous Honky Tonk Highway, an entire street dedicated to bars playing live music and your favorite country numbers. While here, do not miss a visit to Ryman Auditorium and Country Music Hall of Fame Museum.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: The Johnny Cash Museum, Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park, Tennessee State Capitol, Riverfront Park, and Nashville Music City Center.
- 21c Museum Hotel Nashville – A few minutes’ walk from the famous Ryman Auditorium, this stylish hotel offers well-appointed guestrooms with a flat-screen TV with cable, a tea/coffee maker, a wardrobe, a work desk, and an ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Guests can also make use of the on-site business center, bar and restaurant, and fitness center. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Sheraton Grand Nashville Downtown – Less than 5 minutes’ walk from the Tennessee State Capitol and Victory Park, the luxurious hotel features plush guestrooms fitted with air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, tea/coffee maker, and an ensuite bathroom. The property also houses an on-site restaurant, a bar, and an indoor pool. Great for all kinds of travelers.
- Renaissance Nashville Hotel – Every guestroom at Renaissance Nashville Hotel comes with 55-inch flat-screen TV with Netflix, seating area, safety deposit box, wardrobe, and ensuite bathroom. The hotel also offers on-site bar and restaurant, a hot tub, and a fully-equipped service center. Great for all kinds of travelers.
A bit classier and more upscale than the Downtown neighborhood, the Gulch is known for its significant industrial history, trendsetting dining experiences, and high-end fashion boutiques. Located at a convenient distance from Downtown and SoBro, the Gulch is reportedly the first LEED-certified neighborhood in the South. Once filled with old factories and abandoned warehouses, the area has now transformed into luxury hotels, chic restaurants and bars, glamorous clubs, and hip shopping stores. The Station Inn, practically considered an institution around the neighborhood, has been serving its guests with the best live bluegrass music for the last three decades.
Good for: All kinds of travelers, especially the young.
Other Highlights: Yazoo Brewing Company, Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville Music City Center, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, and Fort Negley Visitors Center.
- Thompson Nashville – A 5 minutes’ drive from Vanderbilt University, Thompson Nashville offers well-furnished guestrooms with a minibar, Bluetooth speakers, a laptop safe, a flat-screen TV, and an ensuite bathroom. Facilities at the hotel include free Wi-Fi, a rooftop bar, a multi-cuisine restaurant, conference rooms, and much more. Perfect for all kinds of travelers.
- Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Nashville Downtown/The Gulch – Located in the heart of the neighborhood, this luxurious hotel features beautifully decorated guestrooms with modern amenities, a complimentary buffet breakfast, a rooftop lounge, and a fitness center. Great for couples and families.
- Hilton Garden Inn Nashville Downtown/Convention Center – A short stroll away from the prominent Country Music Hall of fame Museum and Nissan Stadium, the hotel offers well-appointed rooms with flat-screen HDTV, a mini refrigerator, a separate living room area (in selected rooms), a microwave, and much more. Other amenities include on-site restaurants, business center, fitness center, and an outdoor pool. Perfect for all kinds of luxury travelers.
Midtown, also known as the West End, is a bustling neighborhood located almost next to the Gulch and is known for offering one of the most thriving nightlife scenes in the city of Nashville. While the late-night cafes are frequented by the students of Vanderbilt University, clubs and bars around Church Street are known for their live music, drag shows, and LGBT-friendly visitors. When in the neighborhood, you absolutely can’t miss a visit to the Parthenon, a real life-size replica of the actual structure in Greece, that stands majestically within Centennial Park.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: Centennial Art Center, Belmont Mansion, John F. Kennedy Plaza, and the Gallery of Iconic Guitars.
- Homewood Suites Nashville Vanderbilt – One of the best-rated properties in the area, the hotel provides comfortable suites with fully-equipped kitchen, cable TV, free Wi-Fi, and an ensuite bathroom. On-site facilities include an outdoor pool, a fitness center, a business center, and a snack shop. Great for families and group travelers, including large groups of up to 8 members.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville-Vanderbilt-Elliston Place – A few minutes’ walk from the Centennial Park and the revered Vanderbilt University, the hotel features modern rooms with microwave, work desk, seating area, a coffee machine, and free Wi-Fi. Guests can enjoy the complimentary breakfast and the seasonal outdoor pool. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Loews Vanderbilt Hotel – This luxurious hotel, situated opposite Vanderbilt University, features spacious rooms with pillow top mattresses, flat-screen TV, minibar, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Additional amenities at the hotel include a gourmet-style restaurant, free Wi-Fi, and 24-hour room service. Perfect for all kinds of travelers.
Set right on the banks of Cumberland River, the Music Valley neighborhood is the perfect spot for all country music lovers. And, if you are not a big fan, you would want to visit the neighborhood anyway, for it is home to several important sights in the City, including the Grand Ole Opry and the Nashville Palace entertainment complex. The neighborhood also houses a number of delightful diners that cater specifically to Southern delicacies. Music Valley is also known to be an extremely child-friendly area.
Good for: All kinds of travelers, especially families.
Other Highlights: General Jackson Showboat, Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, and Opry Mills Mall.
- Hyatt Place Nashville Opryland – Located in the famous neighborhood of Opryland, this luxurious property features fully-furnished guestrooms with daily complimentary breakfast, free Wi-Fi, coffee-making facilities, safety deposit box, and an ensuite bathroom. Guests can also use the on-site fitness center, business center, and free airport shuttle. Suitable for all kinds of travelers, including big groups of up to 6 members.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville at Opryland – Situated within close proximity of the Grand Ole Opry Theatre, Opry Mills Hall, and Cumberland River, this splendid hotel offers luxurious rooms equipped with flat-screen TV, tea/coffee maker, refrigerator, and ensuite bathroom. A complimentary breakfast is offered daily. Great for all kinds of travelers, including big groups of up to 5 members.
- Best Western Suites near Opryland – This wonderfully decorated all-suites hotel provides well-appointed rooms with air-conditioning, safety deposit box, refrigerator, flat-screen TV, and free Wi-Fi. Guest can enjoy the on-site outdoor pool, the 24-hour business center, and the fully-equipped fitness center. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
Famed as the beating heart of Nashville’s entertainment scene, Music Row is the mecca of country music milestones and famous recording studios neatly tucked between tree-lined boulevards and stunning residential and commercial buildings. Edgehill Village, a charming neighborhood adjacent to Music Row, is home to a plethora of well-curated diners, Nashville boutiques, and several high-end designer brand stores. When here, don’t forget to pay your respects at the Historic RCA Studio B, a legendary recording studio where the likes of Elvis Presley and Dolly Parton recorded some of their blockbuster melodies.
Good for: All kinds of traveler, especially country-music aficionados.
Other Highlights: Columbia Studio A, Owen Bradley Park, and MUSICA.
- Kimpton Aertson Hotel – Set in the heart of Music Row, Kimpton Aertson Hotel features well-furnished guestrooms with a flat-screen TV, minibar, seating area (in selected rooms), safety deposit box, and an ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Additional features include an outdoor pool, a modern American brasserie, a fully-stocked bar, and much more. Perfect for luxury travelers, especially couples.
- Hutton Hotel – The eco-friendly Hutton Hotel offers spacious guestrooms with a large work desk, a 42-inch LCD TV, a minibar, a safety deposit box, and a coffee maker. On-site facilities include a fine-dining restaurant, a 24-hour fitness center, a full-service spa, and valet laundry service. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End – A few minutes’ walk from the famous Vanderbilt University, this luxurious hotel offers well-equipped guestrooms with state-of-the-art facilities, an outdoor pool, a business center, dry cleaning and laundry facilities, a fitness center, and complimentary breakfast. Great for solo travelers, couples, and small families.
SoBro (South of Broadway)
Located next to the Downtown neighborhood, SoBro, short for South of Broadway, is known for its pulsating music scene, lively bars, and trendy restaurants. An area once dotted with worn-down paths and vacant buildings, was put back into life after the opening of the highly significant Music City Center Convention Center. There are plenty of sights in the area that are aimed at honoring the legacy of country music that the city of Nashville is known for, including Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum and Johnny Cash.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: Music City Walk of Fame Park, Nashville Children’s Theatre, Patsy Cline Museum, Music City Shop.
- The Westin Nashville – Situated just a few hundred meters from the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum, the Westin Nashville features spacious, well-appointed guestrooms with air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, tea/coffee maker, minibar, and an ensuite bathroom. Guests can also enjoy the on-site spa and sauna, the indoor pool, the fitness center, and the restaurant. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Hyatt Place Nashville Downtown – Located in the heart of South of Broadway, the elegant hotel offers modern guestrooms with top-class amenities such as a flat-screen TV, refrigerator, tea/coffee maker, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Guests also enjoy the delight complimentary breakfast daily. Great for all kinds of travelers, including big groups of up to 6 members.
- SoBro Guest House – This wonderful boutique hotel, located very close to the Ryman Auditorium and Bridgestone Arena, offers well-appointed suites with a fully-equipped kitchen, modern furnishings, daily housekeeping, and an ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Perfect for families.