Bangkok, formally Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, is the capital of Thailand as well as its most populated city. A massive cosmopolitan, the city is located on the banks of Chao Phraya River and is characterized by its magnificent riverside, high-rise buildings, innumerable Wats (Thai temples), streets filled with local food stalls, and of course, an insane nightlife and clubbing scene.
One of the top tourist destinations in the world and reportedly, the starting point for many dreamy nomads venturing on a tour of South East Asia, Bangkok is both modern and fast-paced and humble and culturally rich. Furthermore, the scope for shopping in the city, with its endless weekend markets, is indefinite.
Whether you are here for the infamous streets of Khao San or for a tour of the Grand Palace, finding appropriate accommodation is necessary to make your experience in the city a memorable one. Let us explore some of the most popular areas in the city so you can decide where to stay in Bangkok during your visit.
Among the highly-exclusive neighborhoods in Bangkok, Sukhumvit is known for its fancy residential and commercial buildings, upscale restaurants, classy bars, and a vibrant nightlife. Several locals and expats call this area home and several others visit every day as tourists. One of the major draws in this part of Bangkok is its connectivity to the rest of the city via Skytrains. Although the area lacks any traditional landmarks, the authenticity and liveliness of Sukhumvit makes up for it in a grand way. Regarded as one of the longest boulevards in not just the city but the entire world, Sukhumvit area is home to Kamthieng House Museum, Benchasiri Park, and the infamous Nana Entertainment Plaza.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: EmQuartier Shopping Mall, Terminal 21, Soi Cowboy, Khlong Toei Market, and Benjakiti Park.
- Novotel Bangkok Sukhumvit 20 – A gentle walk from Sukhumvit MRT Station and Em District shopping area, Novotel Bangkok Sukhumvit 20 offers well-appointed guestrooms with comfy beds, safety deposit box, free Wi-Fi, soundproofing, flat-screen TV with satellite channels, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Additional facilities include an outdoor pool, a kid’s club, a delightful restaurant, and a bar. Great for all kinds of travelers.
- Grande Centre Point Sukhumvit 55 Thong Lo – Featuring an outdoor pool, a terrace, a 24-hour front desk, and an on-site restaurant, the luxury hotel offers comfortable guestrooms with extra-large double beds, air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV with satellite channels, safety deposit box, and ensuite bathroom with toiletries, hair dryer, and bathrobe. A complimentary breakfast is included with certain rooms. Suitable for all kinds of travelers, including big groups of up to 6 members.
- Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel – Connected directly to Asoke BTS Station, this sophisticated hotel features well-appointed guestrooms with a walk-in closet, extra-large double bed with 300-thread-count cotton sheets, flat-screen TV with satellite channels, well-stocked minibar, and ensuite bathroom with a bathtub/shower. A fabulous complimentary breakfast is served daily. Suitable for all kinds of luxury travelers, including big groups of up to 6 members.
Nothing said can be ever enough to define the charm and existence of Khao San Road. It’s safe to say that you either love it or you hate it. The historical center of Banglamphu, Khao San is a mecca for travelers, especially backpackers. Streets here are lined with innumerable bars, restaurants, cafés, and other tourist businesses. The neighborhood is at its best after sunset when hundreds of locals and tourists gather around the different joints and indulge in an endless night of drinking, dancing, and merry making. Extremely easy to reach from any part of Bangkok, Khao San also has a lot of culture and character. Some of the notable structures around the area include Democracy Monument, Phra Sumen Fort, and Wat Chana Songkhram.
Good for: Young backpackers and night owls.
Other Highlights: October 14 Memorial, Santichaiprakarn Park, Sunset Street Art Gallery, Wat Bowonniwet, The Ghost Tower, National Gallery, and Thanon Khao San Market.
- Riva Surya Bangkok – A 5 minutes’ walk from the buzzing Khao San Road, the hotel features comfortable guestrooms with comfy beds, flat-screen TV, minibar, refrigerator, iPod dock, electric kettle, and private bathroom. The property also houses a well-equipped fitness center, designated swimming pools for adults and children, a 24-hour fitness center, and on-site restaurant. Great for solo travelers and couples.
- Dang Derm Hotel – Located in the heart of Khao San, Dang Derm Hotel offers stylish guestrooms with cozy beds, free Wi-Fi, telephone, flat-screen TV with satellite channels and DVD Player, seating area, and ensuite bathroom. The property also features a rooftop swimming pool, a 24-hour front desk, currency exchange service, and on-site restaurant. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai – A short drive from the majestic Grand Palace, this chic hotel offers well-appointed guestrooms with soundproofing, bunk beds for kids, minibar, TV with satellite channels, electric kettle, and private bathroom. A complimentary breakfast is included in selected room tariffs. Great for all kinds of travelers.
Often overlooked by tourists, Ekkamai is a favorite among locals and expats alike. The neighborhood is swarming with delightful eateries, from small local Thai food stalls to fine-dining restaurants. Ekkamai is also home to some of the best second-hand shopping stores. Gateway Ekkamai, right off the Skytrain, is a large shopping mall that caters to shopaholics. A ritzy residential area known for its extravagant condos and an amazing range of wining-and-dining options, Ekkamai is also frequented by visitors who wish to travel to other popular cities around Bangkok. Ekkamai Bus Station, also known as the Eastern Bus Terminal, has bus connectivity to Chonburi, Pattaya, Trat – Koh Chang, and more.
Good for: Travelers interested in nightlife and shopping.
Other Highlights: Ekkamai Major, Funarium Playground, and Tuba.
- Civic Horizon Hotel & Residence – Featuring an outdoor pool, free private parking, free Wi-Fi, and complimentary breakfast, the guestrooms at the hotel offer comfortable beds, air-conditioning, TV with DVD player and Blu-ray player, washing machine, seating area, ensuite bathroom, and a private balcony with a nice view. Suitable for couples and small families.
- Somerset Ekamai Bangkok – A 10 minutes’ walk to Ekkamai BTS station, Somerset Ekamai Bangkok offers luxurious studios with air-conditioning, extra-large double bed, sofa, seating area, flat-screen TV, and ensuite bathroom. Guests staying at single rooms also have access to a communal area with coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit – A stone’s throw away from Thonglor BTS station, this splendid property features beautifully-decorated guestrooms with air-conditioning, private bathroom with bathtub, stylish furniture, flat-screen TV, ironing facilities, and much more. A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Perfect for couples and small families.
Regarded as one of the largest in the world, Chinatown has been in existence since the time the city of Bangkok was founded. A hub of Chinese tradition known for its astonishing food culture, the area is crowded day and night. Hundreds of makeshift food carts and shopping stalls line the streets while the endless rows of wooden shops give the neighborhood a charming vibe. One of the best times to be in the area is during Chinese New Year when the entire Chinatown is filled with worshippers, fireworks, dragon dancers, and tourists all enjoying a frenzy of celebration and Chinese banquets. This is also a great area to shop for Chinese souvenirs, especially feng-shui related products.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: Wat Traimit, Sampang Lane, China Gate, Grand China Princess revolving rooftop bar, Wat Mangkol Kamalawat, and Wat Chakawat Ratchawat.
- Norn Yaowarat Hotel – Set in the center of the Chinatown neighborhood, Norn Yaowarat hotel offers well-furnished guestrooms with modern amenities such as flat-screen TV with satellite channels, air-conditioning, terrace, free Wi-Fi, private entrance, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Suitable for all kinds of travelers, including big groups of up to 8 members.
- Shanghai Mansion Bangkok – Constructed out of a refurbished building that dates back to 1892, this wonderful property features well-decorated guestrooms with free minibar, free Wi-Fi, spa bath, safety deposit box, wake-up service, electric kettle, flat-screen TV with free toiletries, and seating area. Additional facilities include an on-site restaurant and jazz bar, a library, an indoor garden, and a tour desk. Great for all kinds of travelers.
- Grand China Hotel – Located within close proximity of the Grand Palace, this exquisite hotel offers well-appointed guestrooms with modern facilities such as air-conditioning, comfy beds, safety deposit box, flat-screen TV with pay-per-view channels, wardrobe/closet, and ensuite bathroom. Extra amenities at the hotel include a club lounge and the only revolving restaurant in the city. Perfect for all kinds of travelers.
This neighborhood is undeniably the hottest shopping center in the city of Bangkok. If you visit the city solely for the purpose of retail therapy, this is the area where you should stay. With Siam Square at its heart, the area offers much more than shopping. In fact, the neighborhood has one of the biggest concentrations of attractions, including Bangkok Art and Culture Centre, the biggest art gallery in Bangkok, and Jim Thompson beautifully-preserved teak house. For something slightly unconventional, try the fascinating ladyboy cabaret at the Playhouse Theatre. If you are traveling with your children, a visit to Kidzania at Siam Paragon is a great edutainment center to keep them amused.
Good for: All kinds of travelers, including families with children.
Other Highlights: MBK Center, Madame Tussauds, Siam Ocean World, Red Sky Rooftop, Erawan Shrine, Siam Discovery Center, and Human Body Museum.
- Pathumwan Princess Hotel – This stylish award-winning 5-star hotel in the heart of Siam features luxurious guestrooms, an outdoor pool, full-service massage treatments, 10 dining options, a rooftop tennis court, meditation rooms, a fitness center with a jogging track, and a jazz cocktail bar. An optional breakfast is available daily. MBK shopping center is next to the hotel while Siam Square is just across the road. Perfect for all kinds of luxury travelers.
- Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square – Featuring a day spa, a large swimming pool with sauna, free Wi-Fi throughout the property, a fully-equipped fitness center, free parking, an on-site restaurant, and plush guestrooms, Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square is a great option for visitors. Great for solo travelers, couples, and small families.
- Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam – A few steps away from MBK Shopping Centre, this stylish hotel features wonderful guestrooms with the latest facilities, a 24-hour rooftop fitness center, free Wi-Fi, a tour desk, and an on-site restaurant. The property is also a 5 minutes’ walk from Jim Thompson House. A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
Considered one of the most prominent financial districts in the city, Silom, in the district of Bang Rak, has several financial institutions and office structures. The neighborhood is home to many wining-and-dining options, smaller but nice shopping malls, excellent transportation, and of course, the famous party streets of Patpong. One of the most significant red-light districts in the world, Patpong is where the “go-go” culture of Thailand emerged. The Sky Bar, made famous by Hangover II, is an iconic building which is on the lists of most travelers visiting this area. Often compared with Wall Street, Silom’s skyline is dominated by skyscrapers, niche museums, and trendy nightclubs.
Good for: All kinds of travelers, especially the young.
Other Highlights: Lalai Sap Market, Snake Farm, Bangkokian Museum, Kathmandu Art Gallery, and Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple Bangkok.
- Triple Two Silom – Set in the heart of Bangkok’s Central Business district, Triple Two Silom boutique hotel offers well-appointed guestrooms with comfy double beds, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV with DVD player, tea/coffee maker, safety deposit box, ironing facilities, and ensuite bathroom. The property also offers access to a fitness center and an outdoor pool. A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Great for solo travelers and couples.
- Le Meridien Bangkok – A 5 minutes’ walk from the lively streets of Patpong night market, Le Meridien Bangkok features elegantly designed guestrooms with extra-large double beds, soundproofing, air-conditioning, safety deposit box, sofa, seating area, tea/coffee maker, and ensuite bathroom with bathtub. Additional facilities include an outdoor pool with a sundeck, a business center, a full-service spa, 24-hour room service, and an on-site bar and restaurant. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- W Bangkok Hotel – A gentle stroll away from the nearest BTS Skytrain Station, W Bangkok Hotel features luxury accommodation, an outdoor swimming pool, an on-site restaurant, a full-service spa and massage center, a 24-hour front desk, and free Wi-Fi throughout the property. An optional breakfast is available daily. Great for all kinds of travelers.
Pratunam Market Area
Home to the iconic Baiyoke Sky Hotel, the tallest in Thailand, Pratunam Market Area is a major shopping district in the city. In fact, the market here is regarded as the largest clothing market in the country. Known for its vibrancy and chaos, the market is also the greatest place for budget shopping for apparels, handicrafts, watches, and more. Pratunam Market Area is also a great place to experience local Thai life and culture. Carting trolleys, narrow aisles, and vendors working on their sewing machines offer a glimpse into the experience of shopping before the skyscrapers and giant malls existed. Get up to Baiyoke Tower II Observatory and Revolving Roof Deck to admire panoramic views of Bangkok.
Good for: All kinds of travelers, especially shopaholics.
Other Highlights: Bangkok Dolls Museum, Suan Pakkad Palace, Thai Labour Museum, Victory Monument, and Red Sky.
- Lemontea Hotel – Located 5 minutes’ away from Pratunam Market, Lemontea Hotel offers stylish guestrooms with cozy beds, free Wi-Fi, telephone, flat-screen TV with cable channels, seating area, and ensuite bathroom. The property also features a 24-hour front desk, a garden area, and an on-site restaurant. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
- Baiyoke Sky Hotel – At 88-storey, Baiyoke Sky Hotel is the tallest of its kind in Thailand and it features exceptionally well-designed guestrooms with cozy beds, minibar, tea/coffee maker, flat-screen TV with international channels, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries. Additional facilities include a revolving rooftop deck, 7 dining facilities, free Wi-Fi, an observation deck, and a fitness center. Great for all kinds of travelers.
- Amari Watergate Bangkok – Situated directly in front of Pratunam Wholesale Market, Amari Watergate Bangkok offers well-appointed guestrooms with 40-inch flat-screen TV with cable channels and a DVD player, private bathroom with a shower and a separate bathtub, and a view of the city/garden/pool. The property also houses an outdoor pool, a full-service spa, a fitness center, and 5 dining facilities. Suitable for all kinds of travelers.
Lat Krabang/Suvarnbhumi Airport Area
Bangkok Airport, also known as Suvarnabhumi International Airport, is the largest airport in Thailand with regular connections to national and international destinations. The airport itself is pretty impressive, with excellent facilities and a huge selection of shopping stores and restaurants. The neighborhood of Lat Krabang is also home of Talat Klongsuan Roi Pee, a century-old Klongsuan Market that dates back to the governance of King Rama IV. The market offers a peek into the fascinating past of the country and an exclusive chance to shop for vintage products and tasty street food.
Good for: All kinds of travelers with a need to be close to the airport.
Other Highlights: Wat Sangkha Racha, Wat Bang Plee, Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm, and King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Lat Krabang.
- Ammata Lanta Resort – Offering free airport shuttle service, a full-service spa facility, an outdoor pool, a playground for kids, an on-site restaurant, free private parking, and pet-friendly accommodation, Ammata Lanta Resort is a wonderful hotel located 3 kilometers from Suvarnabhumi International Airport. A complimentary breakfast is served daily at the hotel. Perfect for all kinds of travelers.
- Amaranth Suvarnabhumi Airport, BW Premier Collection – Within close proximity to Suvarnabhumi International Airport, this elegant hotel offers lavish guestrooms with extra-large double beds, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV with cable channels, wardrobe/closet, and ensuite bathroom with free toiletries and a bath. Additional facilities at the hotel include a swimming pool, a fully-equipped spa, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and a 24-hour restaurant. Suitable for solo traveler and couples.
- Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport – A 10 minutes’ walk from Suvarnabhumi International Airport, this luxurious hotel offers fully-furnished guestrooms with avant-grade facilities, 24-hour roundtrip airport shuttle, 24-hour check-in/check-out option, an outdoor pool, a well-equipped fitness center, multiple dining options, and free Wi-Fi throughout the property. Suitable for couples and small families.
Refreshing sunrises, mesmerizing sunsets, and long-tail boats gracing the Chao Phraya River is a common day in the life of people living or visiting the charming residential neighborhood of Thonburi. Located on the west bank of the river, the area’s most significant attractions include Wat Arun, one of the most prominent Buddhist temples in the country and also known as the Temple of Dawn. The former capital of Siam (under the reign of General Phraya Taksin), Thonburi is a place where visitors, both local and international, come for peace and solace. Orchard farms, vendors on long-tails boats floating around the river, and an ethereal atmosphere offers a chance for you to experience the real canal-life culture.
Good for: All kinds of travelers.
Other Highlights: Wat Bang Mod, Santa Cruz Church, Wat Rakhang, Bangkok Noi Museum, King Taksin the Great Monument, and Royal Barge National Museum.
- Bangkok Loft Inn – A few minutes’ walk from the closest BTS Skytrain station, Bangkok Loft Inn offers well-appointed guestrooms with air-conditioning, TV with cable channels, safety deposit box, hardwood/parquet floors, and private bathroom with free toiletries. The hotel also offers a communal lounge, a 24-hour front desk, on-site parking, and optional daily breakfast. Great for solo travelers and couples.
- Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort – A premium luxury accommodation property, the stunning resort overlooking Chao Phraya River features lavish guestrooms with extra-large double beds, flat-screen TV with satellite channels, free Wi-Fi, balcony, and an ensuite bathroom with free toiletries and a bath. The property also features a huge outdoor pool, full-service spa, a kid’s club, a fitness center, and multiple dining options. Perfect for all kinds of luxury travelers.
- AVANI Riverside Bangkok Hotel – One of the most exclusive hotels in the country, AVANI Riverside Bangkok Hotel features upscale rooms, a rooftop infinity pool, multiple dining facilities, free Wi-Fi, complimentary shuttle boat to and from the nearest pier, a well-equipped fitness center, and a 24-hour front desk. A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Suitable for all kinds of luxury travelers.