15 Best Resorts in Iowa

With 90% of their land used for agriculture there was a chance Iowa would choose the Nickname the Corn State. Luckily for all the people of Iowa the official nickname for Iowa is The Hawk Eye State. And not because of Colonel Hawk Eye Pearce, the surgeon from MASH, who it turns out never actually lived in Iowa (or anywhere because he was a fictional character), but instead the name refers to Black Hawk, leader of the native American Sauk tribe, which was relocated to Iowa after fighting with settlers.

All that to one side, though, 90% of the land in Iowa is indeed used for agriculture. I didn’t just make that up. Luckily though Iowa packs an awful lot into the remaining 10%, including some quite remarkable engineering achievements. Snake Alley, the crookedest street in the world, is a perfect partner for the Fenelon Elevator, the steepest, shortest train line in the world. The Kate Shelley High Bridge across the Des Moines river is America’s highest and longest double rail trestle bridge.

Other things to visit while in Iowa include the Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium, where visitors learn about the important role the River had in the development of the country. The Pappajohn Sculpture Park speaks to Iowa’s involvement with the arts, and the dramatic limestone formations of the Maquoketa State Park are just magnificent to see. Movie fans can visit the vintages bridges featured in the movie The Bridges of Madison County and the film set of the movie Field of Dreams where on Friday nights ‘ghost’ games are hosted on site.

So, we know there’s lots to see, let’s look at the best resorts in Iowa:

1. Honey Creek Resort

Honey Creek Resort

Honey Creek Resort is situated on the banks of the Rathbun Lake, and provides for an outstanding array of accommodation choices. From Lodges overlooking the lake, to free-standing cabins and a huge number of powered RV or tent sites, the Resort provides for travelers from every walk of life.

There are plenty of amenities and programs available to fill the day, including lake activities (of course) which include canoe, stand up paddle board and jetski hire, and an indoor water park which is available for use all year round. The resort also incorporates an 18-hole championship golf course at The Preserve. If those activities don’t suit, the operators run other programs on a daily basis to ensure any stay at Honey Creek is worth remembering.

Website: https://www.honeycreekresort.com/

Where to stay: Best Hotels in Iowa (IA)
Lowest Price Guarantee

List of Image Sources

15 Best Resorts in Iowa:

Grand Falls Casino Resort